Pinecrest History

Pinecrest History

The original Pinecrest building was erected in 1922 and operated as a tuberculosis sanitarium for 39 years. Several civil works projects, starting in 1933, advanced the Pinecrest building and grounds, adding a third floor. A branch of the Michigan Department Laboratory was established at Pinecrest in January 1939, and served a greater part of the Upper Peninsula.

In 1953 and 1954, improvements were made, including the erection of a new water tower, and the complete renovation of the hospital property. With the continued progress of medicine the incidence of Tuberculosis diminished. Studies were conducted and it was decided that Pinecrest would convert from a sanitarium to a medical care facility, which would provide skilled nursing care for the aged and the chronically ill.

pinecrestexterior1On April 1, 1961, Pinecrest Medical Care Facility was born.

In 2006 we committed to the Eden Alternative journey. One of improving quality of life for our Elders and for recapturing a meaningful work life for our Caregivers. We are dedicated to building a garden (human habitat) that has the goal of eliminating the plagues of Loneliness, Helplessness and Boredom. They are plagues of the human spirit, not the human body, but they can be just as debilitating and just as deadly as any disease of the body.

Recent Posts

Contact Information

Pinecrest Medical Care Facility
N-15995 Main Street
Powers, MI 49874
(906)497-5244

Pinecrest Medical Care Facility - A Caring Community